Monday, March 3, 2008

What Hurts The Most Is Your Version of This Song

Recently, a cover was done of the popular Rascal Flatts song "What Hurts The Most" by the female artist Cascada. Her music is known for its techno beat and pumped-up sound, with the same steady rhythms beating in the background. I am rather disgusted by her attempt to take a song of such emotion and sadness and try to put a dance beat to it. According to the Flatts' video, the lyrics are about a girl losing the man she loves in a car accident. Is this the kind of song we need to apply techno-stylings to so we can dance to it at parties? I think not. At least when the Rascal Flatts did their covers they stayed true to the original songs; their "changes" to the originals were used only to make it sound better, not reverse the message being brought forth in the music.
Rascal Flatts Original
Cascada Version
My friends enjoy the new version but I absolutely despise it - I shudder when they turn it on in the car. However, they don't appreciate the true message in the original music as much as I do, since they are not huge fans of the band. For as big of a Rascal Flatts fan as I am, I just can't stand to listen to artists destroy their songs. Cascada should stick to producing house music regarding happy themes before she makes a lot of fans angry.

yours,
the 4th rascal

No comments: